Finding quality before and after school activities and programs doesn’t have to be challenging. Listed here are low costs or no costs programs for children of any age and interest.
- After School Activities in Sarasota County-
- Events and Programs at the Library - Sarasota County Library provides a calendar of programs offered at all the public library locations. You can also search for programs specifically for you child's age.
back to the top
- 4-H Youth Development - The 4-H / Youth Program's mission is to provide educational experiences through a "learn by doing" approach that helps youth become productive, self-directed members of society. Their programs cover such interests as food and nutrition, safety, forestry and animals. To find out what program your child would be interested in, the 4-H Youth Development program provides an activity book called, Discover 4-H.
- Boys and Girls Club of Sarasota - Clubs are located in Sarasota, Venice and Northport and provide children with after school activities geared toward personal development. Programs include leadership, sports, education, career development and arts and crafts.
- Girls, Inc of Sarasota County - The after school program at Girls, Inc. is for girls grades K - 8th. The program offers leadership development, sports, and education.
- Girl Scouts of Gulf Coast Florida - Serving girls ages 5 - 17 years, the Girl Scouts promote self-esteem, leadership and friendship. Your child will go camping, care for the environment, help people in the community, and even sell Girl Scout cookies!
- Boy Scouts - Southwest Florida Council - Improve a child's chances of making better choices, succeeding in life and becoming a leader. And, he can do it all while having a whole lot of fun! The Southwest Florida Council has programs for boys ages 7 - 17, and boys and girls ages 13 - 20.
- Early Learning Coalition of Sarasota County's - Child Care Connection provides free Child Care Resource and Referral services for all children of all ages in Sarasota County including referrals for after school programs.
- Florida Studio Theater - Youth/Teen Workshops are part of the education classes offered for youth and teens The various programs focus on such things as acting skills, writing for playmaking, and performance opportunities.
- Police Athletic League - PAL is dedicated to offering after school programs during the critical time when your child is out of school and you are not home from work yet. PAL currently operates an affordable after school program at Robert Taylor Community Complex. This location is supervised by Deputies of the Sarasota County Sheriff's Office and provides the following: homework assistance, tutoring, arts & crafts, music instruction, and sports activities.
- Sailor Circus -The Sailor Circus is a spectacular, four-ring youth circus known worldwide as The Greatest "Little" Show on Earth. Your child will learn about circus performing and practice 20 - 30 hours a week. Volunteer coaches who are retired circus performers, sailor circus alumni and enthusiastic parents, provide training. The season ends with performances for crowds of circus enthusiasts.
- Sarasota Opera - The Sarasota Youth Opera serves as a youth opera training program designed for young singers, ages 8 and above. The singing program accepts all levels for the youth opera chorus, regardless of skill, and provides an exploration of the musical and theatrical aspects of opera.
- Sarasota Orchestra - The Youth Orchestra Program is a nationally acclaimed program that provides musical training by coaches, staff and conductors during a 26-week session. Your child will increase their musical knowledge and skills as well as having fun with other youth. Summer Camp Programs are available for children who already play musical instrument.
- Sarasota County YMCA - The Sarasota Family YMCA offers 60 youth and family development programs within Sarasota County. Programs include youth sports, summer camps, daycare, and family support,
- South County YMCA - The South County Family YMCA proudly offers various childcare programs. They offer a preschool and daycare for infants aged 6 weeks to 5 years at two preschools in Venice. While the School Age programs departments, in Venice and Englewood, offer a variety of programs including before and after school care for children 5 - 13 years, summer camps, school break and school days off camps, teen events, and kids night out to name a few.
- Suzuki Institute School of Music - For more than 20 years, the Suzuki Institute of Sarasota has been training future musicians with classes and summer camps taught by seasoned professionals. The philosophy is that every child can be taught to play music using the same fundamentals used in early childhood education.
back to the top
Getting your child involved in local youth sports programs offers many benefits and rewards--not just for your child, but for you, too. Building skills, self-esteem, and camaraderie will help prepare your child for life. Youth sports programs run the gamut in Sarasota County. Visit the Sarasota County Parks and Recreations, Sarasota County YMCA
and Suncoast Sports Club
sites for a list of youth sports programs. From baseball to volleyball, they are a worthwhile investment of time for the whole family.
-Central Sarasota Little League Games and practices are held at Twin Lakes Park in Sarasota for children ages 6 -16 years old with different skill levels.
-Cal Ripkin League Played at the 12th Street Baseball Fields, this league offers little league programs for children ages 5 - 16 years old.
-Venice Little League - For children who live in south Sarasota County, the Venice Area Little League is open to kids ages 6 - 16. Their programs include tee-ball, coach pitch, and major league programs.
-Sarasota Family YMCA Teams at both branches…game day will travel back and forth. Tuesday/Thursday practices at your “home” branch.
-Sarasota Family YMCA - This instructional season is designed to teach kids ages 6 -12, the fundamentals of cheerleading. Participants will meet once a week for practice, and on Saturdays to showcase their cheering abilities to our youth basketball and flag football leagues.
-Sarasota Sun Devils - Sarasota Sun Devils Pop Warner Cheer Program is for girls between the ages of 5 - 15. Each girl will learn the fundamentals of cheer while providing them an opportunity to perform in an organized, adult-supervised, safety-oriented and fun setting.
-Sarasota Redskins - The Sarasota Redskins cheerleading program is available for girls 5 - 14 years old. Practices are once a week, with games on Saturday.
-Football Sun Devils - The Sarasota Sun Devils Football program is a Pop Warner Football program for boys and Girls ages 5 - 15. Practices are held once a week with games on Saturday. The field is located at Twin Lakes Park.
-Sarasota Ringling Redskins - Sarasota Redskins Youth Football is a football program for children ages 7 - 14. They offer flag football for younger players, and tackle football for older players with more skill.
-Englewood Youth Soccer - Played at the Englewood Sports Complex, this league offers professional soccer coaching and a fun environment for kids of all ages and skill levels.
-Sarasota United Soccer League - The biggest soccer league in Sarasota County. Games are played at several fields throughout Sarasota and Manatee counties. All skills levels are welcome to play from beginner to collegian.
-Venice Area Youth Soccer - This is a recreational fun league for boys and girls of all ages. Teams are created by skill level and ability and play at Garabrant Soccer Complex - 1251 Pinebrook Road, Venice FL 34285.
-Miss Sarasota Softball-Fastpitch softball for girls ages 6 - 16. Fields are located off 17th Street between Beneva Rd and Honore Ave.
-Boys & Girls Club of Sarasota County - Children enrolled as members can take advantage of the swimming program offered at the Lee Wetherington Boys & Girls Clubs in Sarasota.
-Sarasota Sharks Swim Team - This long running program in Sarasota has developed many outstanding swimmers. They offer swimming programs of all levels, even for children who are learning the basics. The Pre-Team is an introduction for swimmers ages 5-8. It is a low-pressure approach with stroke instruction, fun filled training drills, and a positive competitive atmosphere. Interested swimmers must be deep water safe and be able to swim 25 yards, continuously, of freestyle and backstroke.
back to the top